Powered by Blogger.
RSS

The origin and fate of the universe

Chapter 5: The Origin and Fate of the Universe

This chapter discards the idea of Black Holes and goes back to what I thought was interesting, The Universe. This chapter begins by explaining the Big Bang Theory. For more information, look at my page labeled "Big Bang Theory for Dummies". The chapter then transitions into alternative ideas of the universe such as the Inflationary model. The inflationary model is similar to the big bang theory. The theory suggests that the early universe had a very rapid or exponential expansion. This expansion accelerated as time went on until gravity began to slow it down. The chapter then talks about laws which we require in order to find out more information about our universe. These laws must require quantum physics however are currently unknown.

In order to succeed in understanding this chapter I needed to research three main parts. I needed to understand; the difference between the Big Bang theory and the Inflationary model, Cosmology and Quantum physics.
 

I started off by going onto http://www.felderbooks.com/papers/inflation.html , I began by reading the introduction. The introduction helped me learn that the big bang theory and the inflation theory go side by side. When the big bang theory was originally created, Einstein learned that the universe was not static; it must be either expanding or contracting. There were however many problems with the big bang theory. These problems were not able to be solved. This is when a modified theory which is formulated from the big bang theory comes into play. It is very similar but is different in the first few seconds of the Big Bang. This is a phenomenal site; I wish I had found it earlier. It uses a very appropriate language and explains with detail.
 

The second research topic which I wanted to tackle had been Cosmology. I started my research with a paper I found online. It is called “Introduction to Cosmology” by Barbara Ryden, Department of Astronomy, and The Ohio State University. It was a very long paper so I decided to read the introduction.  Cosmology is the study of the universe or cosmos, regarded as a whole. It is a science which regards entire galaxies as small objects. It is an attempt to answer questions such as “where do we come from”, “what are we” “where are we going” etc… Cosmology deals with distances that are very large, objects that are very big and timescales that are very long.
I then regoogled Cosmology in order to get a non textbook answer of what it is. I found that it is “the branch of astronomy involving the origin and evolution of the universe, from the Big Bang to today and on into the future. http://www.space.com/16042-cosmology.html


I started off researching Quantum physics by searching it up on space.com. I was not able to find anything. So I gave up from that site. I then decided to google “Quantum physics for Dummies” I thought this would be an ideal was to find what Quantum physics is in simple terms. I found many websites but the only one who gave me a real answer of what quantum physics is the most unreliable source, Wikipedia. I thought the definition did give me a starting base however. “Quantum mechanics is the science of the very small; the body of a scientific principles that explains the behavior of matter and its interactions with energy on the scale of atoms and subatomic particles.” I left this site right after because I did not want to waste anytime with an unreliable source. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_quantum_mechanics

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment