Powered by Blogger.
RSS

chapter 4

Black Holes Ain't So Black


The title of this chapter refers to the fact that black holes are not black. When observed using the correct technology, they are in fact similar to bodies. This chapter discusses black holes and their emission of particles. Contrary to previous beliefs, black holes do release particles and radiation at the event horizon, the very tip of the black hole's gravitational pull. The particles present in that location are particles and antiparticles. The first law of thermodynamics, the energy cannot be created nor destroyed; therefore the partitives both have positive and negative energy. The antiparticle must find its its particle partner in order to follow the law. This emission would be in the form of x-rays and/or gamma rays. The smaller the black hole, the greater the amount of radiation there would be. 

An interesting fact which I learned through this read was that, if an astronaut was to fall in the black hole, the mass of the black hole would increase. Eventually, the equivalent to the mass of the black hole would be let out through radiation



.
This would be one of the most difficult and discouraging chapters I have ever read. It would happen to be either due to my lack of knowledge on black holes in the field of quantum physics, or simply because I do not even know what quantum physics is. First, it took me very long to read this chapter as I spent a lot of time analyzing it and trying to understand it. Then after that I spent very long watching YouTube videos and read up on articles for many aspects of this chapter. When I tried putting it all together... I still was unable to. This chapter really set me off pace on my project. It took me an additional week to do, and when it was all ready to be published, Google crashed and I lost all my research that I worked on for so long- with urls.
The chapter constantly speaks of the second law of thermodynamics, I further did research on what it was and found that it is  "the entropy of an isolated system never decreases in the course of every natural change." Despite being aware of the definition of entropy, I was not able to use it for the concepts which Hawking talks of. For example; "just throw some matter with a lot of entropy" I do not understand what entropy means here.
Black hole radiation was probably the easiest thing in this chapter as it was easier to research. Through the novel and chapters I discovered that in 1974 Hawking predicted that energy fluctuations from the vacuum causes the generation of particle-antiparticle pairs of virtual particles near the event horizon of the black hole. One of the particles falls into the black hole while the other escapes before they have an opportunity to annihilate each other. The result is radiation. I also thought it was really cool how the smaller the black hole is, the more radiation it emits off!

This chapter made me really stressed out. It constantly spoke of the uncertainty principle. I could not understand what it was. I researched and found that it is " any of a variety of mathematical inequalities asserting a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical..." I did not understand any of that. I read further did research and got that it is "succinct statement of the "uncertain relation" between the poistion and the momentum (VxM) of a subatomic particle.It was an easier definition but still quiet hard. I finally kind of got what it was after the follwoing YouTube video.
I tried researching Quantum physics but after 30 minutes I stopped. I didn't understand anything. Anything connected to quantum physics in this chapter was an absolute blank.


http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/dec/01/what-is-the-second-law-of-thermodynamics
http://physics.about.com/od/astronomy/f/hawkrad.htm
\http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/nov/10/what-is-heisenbergs-uncertainty-principle
http://www.aip.org/history/heisenberg/p08.htm
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/01/140127-black-hole-stephen-hawking-firewall-space-astronomy/




  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment